Planned Project: Digitize Public Schools
A project of Digital Media Development Initiatives with the focus of digitizing Public Schools in Northern Nigeria. This will be done by rescuing used and junk Computers from the Private and Public Sector, refurbishing them and distributing to public schools that need them. There will be a collaboration with National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) to ensure that a Corp member is posted to teach Computer Appreciation in each of the identified schools.
Digitize Public Schools will achieve:
The goal of the project is to ensure that the pupils and students in Public Schools in Northern Nigeria benefit from the opportunity to appreciate Computer usage.
The world is already a digital place but sadly most of these children have never seen nor touched a Computer before and can hardly identify the various parts.
It is a project of Digital Media Development Initiatives which has the vision of Effective, Constructive and Innovative use of Digital and New Media Communication Systems for Development.
Furthermore, there will be a collaboration with National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) to ensure that at least, one Corp member is posted to teach Computer Appreciation either as part of their community development scheme or as a primary assignment.
The overall aim is to prepare the pupils and students for the inevitable technology advancement that has sadly left them behind but we hope to fill the gap as quickly as possible with the Digitize Public Schools Project.
How will the project be publicized?
The desired communication means will be Social Media.
- A hashtag will be developed, #DigitizeNaija
- Volunteers will be recruited nationwide via Social Media to scout for organizations that are willing to release their used and Junk Computers
- Step by step progress report will be shared using Social Media. The preferred platform will be Twitter.
- A crowd sourced campaign via Social Media will be done to identify the under-served Public Schools that will benefit from the project.
Which local partners will be involved?
- National Youth Service Corps (NYSC): Deployment of at least one Corp member to teach Computer Appreciation in each identified public school either as part of their community development scheme or as a primary assignment
- Federal Ministry of Education: Approval to carry out the “Digitize Public Schools” project in Public Schools in Northern Nigeria.
- State Ministries of Education: Approval to carry out the Digitize Public Schools project in Public Schools in the respective States.
- Organized Private Sector: Release of used and Junk Computers from the respective Private Sector Establishment.
- Public Establishments: Release of used and Junk Computers from the respective Public Establishment.
- Digital Media Development Initiatives: Refurbishing of used and Junk Computers and distribution to identified public schools that need them.